Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The Four Seasons

Today is the first day of autumn. Since summer is my favorite season, this day brings a touch of sadness each year. However, with age I've hopefully gained a bit of wisdom and perspective. I can now more easily see the good in each season. For example:

Summer: Warm weather and daylight that lasts well into the evening makes for an ideal scenario to get outside and play! We often take the kids outside to either walk around the block or run around in the backyard. Summer also means shorts and Hawaiian shirts, fun times at the Shore, and swimming.

Autumn: I used to be one of those who rolled his eyes at the idea of observing the fall foliage. But it can truly be a breathtaking sight. Having the kids jump into the leaf piles can make leaf raking a much more enjoyable chore.

Winter: I'll confess: I don't like shoveling snow. Fortunately, here in New Jersey we usually only get a few signicant snowfalls each year. (Also, having a snow blower makes it considerably more tolerable). The sight of a freshly-fallen snow, especially on a day when we don't need to go anywhere, is incredibly serene.

Spring: What's not to love? Sunshine, warmer weather, flowers and baseball. And of course, more playing outside.

Maybe I'm just becoming a sentimental fool in middle age, but I really feel grateful and appreciative for everything that comes my way, all year long.

No comments:

Post a Comment