Thursday, February 11, 2010

efficient vs exciting

Like many people, I watched the Super Bowl this past week. I was happy that the Saints won for a couple of reasons. One, when I first started following football, the Saints were usually among the worst teams in the league. So I always kind of rooted for them as my second favorite team, behind the Steelers.

The other reason I was happy about the results of this Super Bowl is that I didn't want the Colts to win. I don't feel any animosity towards the team, and Peyton Manning seems to be a good guy. However, the Colts play a style of football that I find uninteresting. Their offense is designed to pick up 10 yard gains seemingly at will. There seems to be a never-ending string of short slant passes. While it's admirable that the team has developed such a cold efficiency, it is dreadful to watch.

I think that a parallel can be drawn to baseball. In recent years, many teams have developed a "take and rake" offensive philosophy. That is, they are willing to take a lot of pitches while waiting for a pitch they can hit for a home run. This style results in a lot of walks and strike outs; which are the least interesting aspects of baseball.

In both sports, the "best" offense is the least entertaining. As a fan, I want to see stolen bases and extra-base hits in baseball; and long passes in football. Quite frankly, this has turned me off somewhat from both sports. I'm much less inclined to watch entire games. I doubt that I'm alone in this. But since these styles have been determined to be more effective, we're probably not going back. I just find this a little sad.

1 comment:

  1. Many folks had the same to say about the Devils in hockey (boring, 1-0 games)...the NFL has done a lot to make the offense more exciting; if they do any more I am afraid that the game may be unrecognizable...I am with you; the Colts are a boring team.

    Frank

    ReplyDelete